Life After Centre

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why Blog?

I have played around with the idea of creating my own blog for the past several weeks. Several of my friends have blogs; some are about crafting and organization, others are about study abroad adventures, and one is even a movie reviewer! I don't believe that this blog will fit into those categories. I do not have the domestic skills of Martha Stewart. I am studying abroad, but I would like this project to be much more comprehensive. Likewise, I don't believe I have anything that profound to say about a particular topic. This blog is just about me and how I relate to the world because of my life experiences. I am a soon-to-be alum of a fantastic liberal arts college, a sorority woman, a Kentuckian, and a dog lover. Of course there are  many more adjectives to describe me, but I think writing helps you find out who you are and lets other people know how you think. Since becoming a student at Centre I have done my fair share of writing. Particularly this past CentreTerm. I took a class called Sociology of American Religion. Why I took this class requires some background explanation-

One of my reasons for attending Centre was the reputation. Centre is known, particularly in the South, as a great school. It's difficult, but the alums are doggedly loyal because of the relationships they build at the college and the life-altering experiences that students have inside the classroom. I was eager to experience all of this, but not always so eager to tackle the general education requirements of the college. They are extensive and for good reason. A liberals arts education is an endeavor to create a well-rounded citizen. The gen ed I was the least excited about was religion. The department is notoriously tough and I put off finishing this requirement as long as possible.

By the spring of my Junior year I decided to take my last gen ed and to finish up my major so I could take nothing but electives my Senior year. I had taken World Religions as a Sophomore and it was interesting- I learned quite a bit, but it was not my favorite class. The last religion course I had to take would be one covering Christianity. I could opt for either Biblical History and Ideas or The History of Christian Thought. I chose Biblical History and Ideas with Prof. Jefferson. I didn't have the highest of hopes going in, I feared that it would be a Sunday School repeat and that I would be bored by it. Still, I was determined to keep an open mind. As it turns out, I loved the class! I saw my own religious heritage in a new light and even found a way to weave what I had learned in that class into my History Seminar paper. That class lead me to take the next class in the Religion sequence- The History of Christian Thought. The fascination grew and led me to the Sociology of American Religion with Prof. Weston .

This CentreTerm course is famous for its trips to various religious institutions around the state, most notably The Creation Museum. Still, I was afraid of this class. It was not only difficult, but the class time was long, the homework was plenty, and the level of critical thinking was beyond demanding. However,I am proud to say that I have been bold and have taken some of the most challenging courses at the school.  One part of this class that made many students leery was the daily papers. We were required to turn in a paper of at least 500 words almost every day of the term, including weekends. Between that, the reading, and the field trips, I had very long days and nights as well. At first the papers were frustrating, they were a combination of a journal entry, an essay, and a summary. That is how I approached them. But by the end, they were so much easier to do. It almost became fun. I learned about how I think and where I place myself in the American Religious landscape. That brand of self-discovery was fun and a bit addictive.

They say it takes around 3 weeks to develop a new habit. This is where my desire to blog comes in. During my 3 week CentreTerm adventure into the world of American Religion I developed a new habit-writing for pleasure. So here I am, I have a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment